- You’re one of the leading female football coaches in the area, working with Buckley Town and Chester FC. How does it feel getting involved with football and is it your main passion?
I’ve been a football fan since I was little and it used to be one of my biggest hobbies but is now my job ha-ha! Football is a different game all the time as well as the training sessions. I would say it is my main passion and I would love to be doing it full time in the future.
- You’ve truly excelled in football, gaining all sorts of coaching badges and working with various people. What got you motivated to get started with coaching? And, what advice can you give to coaches looking to get involved?
I offered to do some scouting for Chester FC Women about 5/6 years ago. I never thought about coaching until Mark and Bernard at Chester FC asked if I was interested in it as I had quite a good footballing brain. Before I knew it, I was signed up to my Level 1, that was it and I have come a very long way since then.
If I could give any advice to people who are wanting to get involved in coaching, make sure you are 100% committed. It does take a lot of time and effort, from the courses, training and games. It’s the best thing I have done.
- Buckley Town FC Juniors, there’s so many teams, tell us a little bit about the juniors’ side of the club…
Buckley JFC have teams from Under 5s to Under 16s as well as all girl teams in Under 10s and Under 12s, the girl’s section has grown a lot in the last 2 years and it continues to grow now. We have a good base of volunteers that run all age groups and are always looking for people to get involved.
- And Chester FC, how are things going there?
Yeah, they are going well thanks, I am working with the Under 13s Academy team and we have entered a league this year, which is also a test for me as it is the first time I have been involved in 11 a side football, which allows me to use my B license credentials. Also, I am doing some work with the Chester FC Ladies team, which helps me and I can get ideas for future training sessions
- Women’s football, it’s generating a huge interest and the popularity keeps growing. You teach junior girls’ teams at Buckley Town FC and Chester FC. What’s your message to girls/ladies wanting to play football?
Girls/ladies football has grown so much in the last couple years, due to the success of the England and Wales ladies’ teams. I would just say if you are interested just go along to your local club and see if you like it as you will be surprised. If you used to play and want to get back into it just do it, it’s good fitness and it is also good socially as well.
- With you being a Liverpool fan, they’ve started very well, will they be at the top come May?
They have started well, but I never make predictions when it comes to my own team, one game at a time.
- Buckley Town FC, 4 wins, 3 loses, doing well so far… it’s a good vibe at the Globe, are you happy with the direction of the club and its community-based ethos?
Yeah, the way the juniors and seniors have integrated the past two seasons has been great, with both the boys and the girl’s tournaments being played here last season. The work Dan, Pete, etc have put in has been really good and I’m sure it will continue to grow.
- Who was/is the greatest player of all time? WHY?
Oh, that’s a tough one, I can’t decide. Robbie Fowler or Steven Gerrard…
- What’s the best advice to give to any youngster playing the game today?
First of all, make sure you enjoy it, listen to your coach and always have the willingness to improve and learn.
- Messi or Ronaldo?
Messi ha-ha, could not possibly pick Ronaldo!!
- Tell us a little bit more of what you do! Where can people find the coaching programmes you have on offer?
As well as my coaching roles with Chester and Buckley, I do offer some specialised 1-2-1 coaching sessions which allows the player to state what they would like to work on and how they would like to improve. They can be individual sessions or group sessions and if you would like to book in you can contact me on 07795123417.
- Finally, a word for the fans…
Keep up with the amazing support for the seniors. Dan, Alan and Jase are doing a fantastic job and with the drive and ideas Pete has it looks like an exciting future for the club.