World Heart Day 2019 – Be a Heart Hero
This year the FAW and Buckley Town Football Club is supporting World Heart Day, the world’s biggest platform for raising awareness of cardiovascular disease (CVD), which includes heart disease and stroke.
Run by the World Heart Federation, and supported by UEFA, World Heart Day takes place on 29 September every year and aims to encourage individuals, communities and businesses, including football organisations, to help protect our hearts and improve our quality of life. CVD is accountable for nearly half of all deaths from non-communicable diseases (NCDs), making it the world’s leading cause of death, claiming 17.9 million lives prematurely each year. It can also make life difficult for the millions of people around the world that live with CVD.
The good news is that through simple changes to our everyday lifestyles, we can all work towards lowering the burden of CVD. This year Buckley Town FC is asking all football fans to make a promise. This includes:
• A promise to our families to cook and eat more healthily
• A promise to our children to do more exercise and help them to be more active
• A promise as a fan to walk, cycle or use public transport to travel to football matches
• A promise as a player to use the power of football to encourage people to lead healthier lives
• A promise as a football organisation to protect fans from second-hand tobacco smoke in football stadia
Together we can educate, inspire and motivate people to keep their hearts healthy while encouraging them to act as influencers themselves. Together we can create a global community of heart heroes.
By making small changes to our lifestyles and the places where we live, work and play we can have a huge impact on our health and the health of our communities.
Join the cause and share your promise by taking a photo performing the < ♥ > gesture and sharing it on social media using the hashtag #WorldHeartDay.
You can keep up to date with World Heart Day on social media by following these accounts:
• Facebook: /worldheartday
• Twitter: @worldheartfed
• Instagram: @worldheartday