The Town

The Town of Buckley

Buckley is a growing town of just under 16,000 people. There has been a settlement on or near the site of the present town since the Bronze Age and the name Buckley has been documented since the time of the Norman Conquest.

The town has long been an important centre of industry in North Wales, known for its potteries, brickworks and coal mines. The Wrexham, Mold and Connah’s Quay Railway arrived in Buckley in 1866 and gave industry a further boost by connecting the town to the national network.

The town is famous for its Bricks that were produced locally until only recently and which were known across the world and commemorated in a Heritage Trail which uses those local bricks in a series of sculptures. While much of the heavy industry of the past has now left Buckley, other businesses have taken their place. Castle Cement, the club’s main sponsor, sits on the outskirts of town at Padeswood and Airbus maintain a site on Drury New Road. The town also hosts an annual Jubilee that celebrated its 150th year in 2006.

Its centre includes a pedestrianised shopping area and the well-known local club, the Tivoli, is a big draw from a wide area.

Jonathan Catherall set up one of the town’s potteries and also established the first non-conformist chapel in Buckley. The site of this chapel is now occupied by St John’s Church. The parish church of Buckley, St Matthew’s, was consecrated in 1822, and is known for its memorials to William Gladstone and John Ruskin. Further information on the history of the town can be found at the town’s library which houses copies of magazines produced by the Buckley Society as well as a Heritage Centre with information on the towns past. If you are interested in local history then there is also another site from the BBC at that is also very interesting.

Also, nearby Etna Park has reclaimed land which had previously been used as a landfill site to provide an area of meadowland and woods for walking and picnicking. It is here that you find the Football Club on Globe Way. The club is surrounded by the Etna Park and the purpose built complex sits at about 500 feet above sea level on the side of a hill that overlooks the Dee Estuary and the Wirral.