This was a competitive game from the start with two well matched sides trying to gain the ascendancy meaning the vast majority of the game was played in the middle third of the pitch.

Buckley did start the better and were on top for the first fifteen minutes of the game but from then on, neither side could say they dominated the play. They both had periods when with more clinical passages of play they could have made the keepers at either end work harder. That did not happen and we saw a goalless half in which neither side had anything but half chances.

The deadlock was broken in the second half with by far the best piece of football in the game when Adan Eden and Aled Bellis worked a neat one-two down the left flank. It began from an Aron Williams long throw from the right flank that was only partially cleared out to the left wing where it was picked up by Adam Eden. He drove at the Porthmadog defence, found Bellis on the edge of the box whose return was inch perfect for him to fire the ball left footed across keeper Paul Pritchard and into the far corner.

Porthmadog were spurred on by Buckley’s goal and they were soon level when Dan Dascalu fired home from 20 yards placing his low shot in the corner of the net past keeper Joe Makaruk who seemed to have his weight on the wrong side to be able to react to the effort.

Allowing Porthmadog back into the game then seemed to spur Buckley on. With thoughts on the Conwy game they were determined to wrestle back control of the game and they soon won a free kick in midfield. Aled Bellis floated it into the box looking for Aron Williams down the right side of the box. As he went to head it he was impeded by defender Ryan Taylor and referee James Walker had no doubt in awarding a penalty. Bellis fired it home and Buckley regained their lead.

Porthmadog tried as they might to get themselves back level and had three good chances to level the scores. Adam Eden also had a change to extend Buckley’s lead but they held on and secured a vital three points that has put them squarely mid table, top of five clubs on nine points by virtue of goal difference.

The sides meet again next week in the Huws Gray Cup at Y Traeth with a 2:30pm kick off on what is usually a great surface to play football. Given that is what both these sides seem to want to do, we should see another competitive battle to see who makes Round 2.